I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! Galatians 1 : 6 – 9
Good morning, friends. Today let us see about something which I heard from a pastor on Sunday. And kindly please read even though it’s long. We all should be aware of it certainly. Before that, here comes a funny incident.
After a worship service at Church, a mother with a fidgety seven-year-old boy told me how she finally got her son to sit still and be quiet. About halfway through the sermon, she leaned over and whispered, “If you don't be quiet, Pastor is going to lose his place and will have to start his sermon all over again!” It worked, indeed.
I don’t know how many of us would agree that we feel sleepy/boring when sermon is preached sometimes in churches. But this is really not a time to sleep in churches. The Lord will definitely speak and reveal things through the churches in these days. We may convince ourselves that we’re good in personal prayers and meditation, but the Lord wants you and me to grow together and that’s why the concept of Church came. Jesus could have actually found out disciples and could have taught them separately. But He didn’t do that. He wanted His disciples to be together while He taught them all. Through something or the other the Lord will speak to us. It may be a worship song that consoles you, comforts you. Or a prayer or a sermon or everything God can use to talk to you. God wants us to grow more and He doesn’t want you and me to be a kid always. Truth alone can set us free. Truth should be preached and listened in churches.
Last Sunday, I heard from the pastor about a Church that is coming nearby. Now please read the above verses in green if you’ve skipped. ‘The church of Mormons.’ It was new to me as I didn’t hear even this name earlier. As we know that a book cannot be judged by its cover, so is this church. If we see the principles in depth, you and I can clearly say that it’s nothing but the other gospel which Paul clearly talks about. I’m highlighting some of the Mormons’ principles in red and the truth in blue below.
1. There are two sources of authorities. The Book of Mormon and the Bible. Bible is the only authority from God.
2. God is the Supreme Being of the universe. However, He gradually acquired that position over a long period of time by living a perfect and righteous life. God is eternally and infinitely supreme. And He is the Alpha and the omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the Ending.
3. If the person lived by a satisfactory standard, (including the fulfillment of Mormon temple obligations) that person has the potential to become a god in the after-life. There is no other God and no man can ever be a God.
4. Jesus and Satan as spirit brothers and sons of God. As Jesus chose to be righteous, He progressed to a Godly level. The character and life of Jesus is attainable by anyone who performs at such a righteous level. There is no connection between the light and the darkness.
5. Forgiveness of sins requires faith, repentance and baptism by an approved Mormon priest. We are unable to live a life righteous enough to meet God's perfectly holy standard. Therefore, we establish a relationship with God by faith in the work of Christ on the cross, not by our own works.
6. Jesus Christ will establish a new kingdom that will consist of three levels: the celestial kingdom, the terrestrial kingdom, and the telestial kingdom. There are only two possible fates after death, heaven or hell. These locations are final, both physically and spiritually.
7. Polygamy and Mormonism are inseparably entwined. One of the most offensive aspects of Mormon-based polygamy is the rampant practice of taking underage girls as polygamous wives. Even if someone looks at the other with lust, it is adultery.
I thought it is good that I heard about it. And I wanted you also to know about this. No wonder Jesus, Paul, John and others said something again and again! If your friends or your children are attending some other churches, have an extra care as to see what kind of faith they’re taught of. Beware of all these false teachings and preachers. Above all ask God to cover you and yours under His wings, so that satan cannot deceive you at any cost by some fashionable gospels which lead us to sins and in turn into the hell. Test everything and hold on to what is good.
May God bless!